Cruise Update – Last Stop – St. Maarten/St. Martin

The last stop on our Caribbean adventure is St. Maarten/St. Martin – the island with a split personality!  Sixty percent (60%) of the island’s land mass belongs to France while the remaining 40% is under rule of the Netherlands; an interesting blend of cultures.

The Carnival Victory will dock in Phillipsburg at about 8:00 a.m.  Since we have no exacting plans, my group will likely enjoy a leisurely breakfast before strolling out to find a taxi for a short ride to Maho Beach.

If you have not heard of this place before, you must watch the video!  Situated across the street from Princess Juliana International airport, jumbo jets buzz the beach about once every five minutes.  Their draft is so strong, that (according to one website) it has been known to topple cars.  More than a few reviewers commented on the ladies losing their tops!  I read that the beach bar gives free drinks to topless ladies – guess there is some good in everything!

Speaking of topless, beaches on the French side of the island tend to be very liberal when it comes to “tan line-less” sunbathing.  Some beaches are fully clothing optional so beware when planning a beach day with the kiddies – could be interesting for we prudish Americans!  I read last night that some of the Dutch beaches are loosening up as well.  One such beach – Cupecoy – is clothing optional on the western end.

If we were not traveling with a 14 year old boy (you get the picture) I would opt for Cupecoy.  The beach is rimmed with beautiful rock formations and amazing cliffs – the pictures are gorgeous.

Either before or after Maho, we may spend some time at Loterie Farm – not a farm but an eco-adventure park with reputedly good dining!  Other options on our list include a stop at Fort Amsterdam for a photo op and perhaps some shopping in Grand Case – if time permits!

Fortunately, our adventure in paradise doesn’t end when we sail away from St. Maarten – we still have another night on the Victory and another day in Puerto Rico before flying home!

If you are ready to take your own trip to paradise – give my friends at CruiseOne a call – they will be happy to help you plan a perfect cruise!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Cruise Updates and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s